Coffee mornings, Back to School Nights, charity sports matches, and distinguished guest speakers
By Nick Yates, ISB Communications
Published on Friday, January 19, 2024
Communities are defined by relationships. That’s why the International School of Beijing (ISB) places so much value in helping its people form and maintain strong peer relationships across national, linguistic, and cultural lines. For students, parents, faculty, and staff, ISB is an inclusive school built on how its people get along and understand each other.
Since the start of the 2023-2024 academic year in August, ISB parents have been enjoying a host of school events and occasions designed with this in mind. These coffee mornings, workshops, and socials have been organized to maintain strong ties between school and home, to get parents together to share experiences, and to keep ISB families informed on their children’s learning.
- Coordinated by the Parent Teacher Association (PTA), International Day honors all the cultures found at school. The event featured the traditional International Day parade, an opening ceremony with a keynote address from the United Nations Resident Coordinator in China, plus an expo with community members showcasing food and entertainment from their home cultures.
- discuss objectives for the year ahead and learn how ISB programs are carefully put together based on the latest research and best practice in pedagogy at these annual highlights. Click here to read parents’ takeaways from a past BTSN.
- In the Parent Education Series of talks and workshops, guests learn the principles of a quality modern education from experts from ISB’s faculty and outside the school.
- Focusing more on contemporary topics and current affairs, the ISB Leadership Talk Series is new for this year and gathers experts including from ISB’s alumni network for talks open to the school’s own students and parents and the wider community. The first talk was on the video games industry. The second will be on AI.
- The bleachers were packed for big sporting events including ISB’s invitational Great Wall Shootout basketball tournament and APAC baseball. High School students also organized charity volleyball and basketball matches, with ticket proceeds going to local causes.
- The Elementary School has welcomed parents to join assemblies run by students. As celebrations of learning, these are joyful occasions very different from the memories many grown-ups will have of such get-togethers in their own school days.
Plenty to look forward to in Semester 2
“In the ISB family, our counselors play a vital role in nurturing the well-being of parents and students. Together, we build a community that truly cares,” said course participant Vicki Zhao (far left in the picture), who also volunteers as a Middle School representative for the PTA.
This news article is part of a series looking at aspects of ISB that are examples of the three Focus Areas. To find out more, click here.
ISB is an extraordinary school, made so by a tradition of educational excellence spanning 40 years. Establishing, nurturing, and growing such an exceptional learning community has been and remains intentional; we work hard to build strong relationships so our learning is at its best.