Chinese New Year of the Dragon at ISB
By Nick Yates and Franco Dionco, ISB Communications
Published on Wednesday, February 7, 2024
Happy Chinese new year from the International School of Beijing (ISB)! As we begin our vacation for China’s Spring Festival, students, families, and the entire ISB community can look back on a whole load of themed learning and events at the school these past few days.
Honoring our host country’s most important holiday is an ISB tradition in line with the school’s commitment to internationalism and cultural inclusivity. And this is a special Spring Festival. We’re about to enter China’s lunar year of the Dragon, the zodiac animal that gives us our emblem and mascot. Some of ISB’s Year of the Dragon celebrations included:
- The traditional ISB Chinese new year parade
- A talk and quiz with historian Lars Ulrik Thom of Beijing Postcards
- Special assemblies with student performances, including our new DRAGON SPIRIT! school song created with the help of a visiting composer
- A door decoration contest, with classes adorning their doorways like those seen around China at this time of year
- Calligraphy with a visiting artist
- Cooking classes making seasonal Chinese favorites
The ISB Dragons will continue to roar with pride in 2024, offering students and families plenty more peak moments to enjoy, and plenty more ways to show our Dragon Spirit and celebrate the school’s four and a half decades of excellence. Please click the link below to view the video, and we’ll see you in the lunar Year of the Dragon!
ISB is an extraordinary school, made so by a tradition of educational excellence spanning 40 years. Establishing, nurturing, and growing such an exceptional learning community has been and remains intentional; we work hard to build strong relationships so our learning is at its best.